Friday, January 15, 2010

Avatar: Pocahontas Times Awesome

So, I've finally seen the great "Avatar." After following it from its very beginning, and spending at least six months telling everyone to mark their calendars for the date that changed cinema. After poking my wife too hard to look up at the moment the first television frame debuted. And, three minutes later, feeling like a moron for telling everyone and their dog to mark their calendar for "The Day Cinema Changed". Then processing my reputation. Then trying to bring it up around everyone while they were with their dog so I could recount my previous confidence. After finally deciding I should experience it. After watching it make half a billion dollars. After trying to get someone to go with me - but most people had already seen it. After deciding to go by myself but having the thing STILL sold out. I saw the great "Avatar". 


It was fun. It was truly a first of it's kind experience. This has probably opened the door to the conversation about utilizing 3D as a viable art form and expression in drama and not just gimmicks. And so, though it's not an OMG moment for studios and audiences, it may have very well started a change in cinema. With its success, director James Cameron will again be the "smartest guy in the room" when he speaks to studio execs. And he is pushing more 3D, and higher frame rates in Stereo-Scope, and the studios will listen. He contends that in order for film to stay alive they must continue to outdo television. And now, televisions are beginning to develop native stereo-scope. This will push the cinema.


What I can't figure out is this: Why was it released in November/December/January - A.K.A. - Awards Season? Did he (or whomever made the decision) really think they had a shot for an Oscar? Even if Segourney Weaver or Giovanni Ribisi (both miscast here I think. No, I take that back, underused and misused, respectively) did have more to work with - how seriously were they going to be taken? The field for best picture has been open to 10 nominations this year (a little trick I REALLY like *but that's another blog*) and more than likely it will be nominated (with 10 to choose from how do you not choose the one that risked the most?) but to win it? It's not even like a nomination will make people buy it on DVD any more than they would have anyway. I digress. 
My point - this movie is far from original in its story and in some cases its execution. I find it hard to believe that Cameron himself didn't recognize this. It is Disney's Pocahontas with elements of the Abyss. He knew that! Everyone knew that! This film was made for what could be put on screen - not for it's originality in story. 
So, I'm mildly upset at the timing of the release because it's almost like they are trying to pull a fast one on me. I'm instantly skeptical. This could - however - just been released as soon as humanly possible after it was locked and shipped. Since I'm sure Cameron almost bankrupted himself again on developing the technology to do what he wanted. I don't know, but like I said, it's far from a best picture winning caliber movie. 


What I do enjoy is the execution in that it is cut and dry - nothing too fancy (besides obviously it's in 3D - so I guess I mean in framing and camera movement) and the scenery - the attention to detail is absolutely mindblowing. It is all wonderfully pieced together. Though it goes too long and too indepth in certain scenes - there are boring spots where, 3D-less, I would've screamed "Yes I get that the Navie are tied to the land! Get on with it!" - I'm instantly calmed by the fact that the visuals are something I've truly NEVER seen before. 
This is an experience made for an alternate purpose than movies trying to tell a story. It's akin to seeing the IMAX-specific movies about rock climbing - they are not supposed to be a classic "movie", you are there to see a massive picture of the landscape. Avatar is packaged as a movie as an afterthought and specifically built to utilize IMAX 3D on some other planet, to push the boundaries of cinema. They knew they didn't need to spend any more money and time on the screenplay. The had to have said, "Let's get a boiler plate and start making a camera!" That's why I forgive the horribly unoriginal story and the extra length in scenes.


However, just like any good action movie - when the big final fight comes - all the waiting pays off. And that's what happens here. The length of the film draws you deeply in, you have come to feel for the Navie, and you've come to accept the mix of CG and live people. And you've also gotten used to a moderately paced drama. The final fight bursts on and is gripping and edge of your seat (if you'll allow me to use two over-used cliches that happen to be true here). I believed the battle was hopeless, I believed anyone could die at any moment. And I understood the geography and who was in the fight and where and why.


I had one issue with the visuals - may I rant? - Why is it suddenly in vogue to do quick-zooms with the camera EVERY time their are flying things in a sci-fi movie? I don't get it! It showed up in Serenity, then Star Wars, Battle Star Galactica, and now Avatar. It's like you can't have flying saucers without the camera tripping out and zooming in suddenly. It just took me out of the movie and made me think I was looking through a lens. And this is one of those moments where Cameron did disappoint me - he's not one to do something because everyone else is (hence this movie coming to fruition).


Despite some disappointments, it's an example of how to make a movie for what it is - Cameron absolutely knows what he's making. It's amazing how he uses the added depth of field in dramatic ways. He even mostly stays away from in-your-face 3D gimmicks. It shows how to make an action movie that lacks a great screenplay. I can, in no way, imagine this in the hands of a Michael Bay. His Transformer movies are far less than what Avatar is and I think he might have had a better story to work with. Bay might have ruined cinema all together... geez. 


Anyway - go see the movie, and see it in 3D. I recommend not seeing it alone. There's not enough meat to satisfy you to walk out alone without anyone to talk to. You'll want to experience it with someone. Because this is something truly new. And it is a GREAT experience. Judging from what the previews looked like on my 19inch TV, I'm not sure you'll care about it once it's on DVD.








1 comment:

  1. wow. Post-Golden Globes update: I may be eating my words on my whole "Best Picture" thing. I am a little perplexed, and a little disappointed as Avatar has taken the best picture Golden Globe. I was also disappointed to watch Cameron not only accept the award with no humility (like he had no idea he had a crappy script) but he also made a comment about "saving our planet" as if the screenplay was important and profound. It was akin to "Crash" being a profound statement on race issues.

    ReplyDelete