Saturday, January 9, 2010

A-Team on My Screen

I just got ahold of a link that took me back to the future. The trailer for the movie version of the hit 80's show got leaked and I can't tell you how excited I was. I heard a lot people complaining that it should never be made and that it would ruin what the show was. I have to say I started out after first hearing of the green light, in a state of worry. How could a two hour movie possibly tackle four lead characters (plus you knew they would have to bring in a love story cuz that's how it's done in H-Town - which means a fifth lead [confirmed when Jessica Beil signed on you know there's no way she's taking a minor role] and that means Face has to be established as a playboy and then fall in love) tackle being pursued by the military and then also tackle the soldiers for hire part? As the rest of the team was filled in and confirmed I sighed relief when the new "Face" told us on Leno that they were making the version of A-Team everyone wanted to see. Let's face it, after going back to watch a few of the episodes, the series actually begs to be treated the way Charley's Angels was by McG if you wanted to stay "true" to the source. I mean, Mr. T throws someone in a dumpster EVERY episode. It could even go "Starsky and Hutch" if it needed to.

So the trailer starts up... and at once I'm in love with the new Hanibal. Liem Neesen? how could you not be? I always said George Clooney (circa Three Kings) but after "Taken" - you know this cigar wielder can brawl. Face shows up, and his sly smile fits all too well on some lake at sundown.

The action roles and I can see how great this might be. B.A. Baracas comes on and plays it as a toned down angry man, not Mr. T - check. Murdock lets us know the wings of a plain are on fire and he's not scared at all - crazy man not over acted - check. Hannibal drops THE line like it just came out and he sincerely loves it when a plan comes together, not like it's the signature of the show with a wink - check.

It goes black and my reflection is all I see - a wide smile on my face. Looks like an action flick. A quality one. It's gritty. What you'd expect from a crack team of commandos. It's got all the right nostalgia points (did you see the GMC van?). I'm happy...

It pops back on for a final look (the action movie trailer cliche I should've known was coming) back with a plain exploding and a tank dropping into the sky - obviously the A-Team inside. Face pops out the top and takes out a fighter plane as the tank floats in through the air by way of parachutes tied all around the corners of the tank...

Was that a scene straight out of "Charley's Angels 2"?

Dang it.

Pushing that last moment away and rolling with the tag line "there is no plan B", this thing is happening and I'm going to be excited to hear everything that comes out about it. I'm anxious. I'm ready. I've found the team. I'll gladly shell out the cash to let them do their thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment