Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Blogging While Editing 3 - DYWTGO?


Thought I was making good time until I watched the entire sequence. There is a lot of work to do. Basically all touchups. I may have used a reaction shot twice, and I can't seem to find the “room tone” we got, which should help me edit because some of the cuts just DO NOT work because the sound is shaved off here and there. So it pops in and out. I can't tell if I'm jump cutting or if the sound is jarring me.

Nonlinear editing. The reaction shots tell a different story every time. I'm trading in about six different ones at two different spots and it's just such a hard choice. Found it. I think. I replayed 2 seconds over so many times I need to leave it alone for a while. But one thing is for sure, Jane (Kelli) had a great reaction and now it's in – which I didn't expect.

Lost. Somehow we didn't get audio on two glidecam shots. Need direction here.

Just made edited Lauren's lines from “You would not believe” and “I just don't understand” into “I just don't believe” and “You would not understand”. Making her next perfectly delivered line have even more of a punch.

Poll Question: Does this make me A.) a genius; or, B.) a George Lucas style director; or, C.) a complete hack. I'm not sure, but it'll make the movie better....

Not sure I've got the momentum to finish. It's getting late and I've reached a point where those soundless glidecam shots look like they are perfect for what this needs. I've spent hours getting just a couple of lines off those shots but they are pretty shakey as far as sync goes, and I have to cut away before you really get the sense that you're on the glidecam anyway defeating the purpose at some pivitol moments. I think I might know where the audio is but I would lose at least an hour getting it.

So do I keep editing so I can have this finished? Or do I move on to the other sequences where I have to relearn where all the shots are? Think my best bet is to move on. This sequence is maybe killing me a little much.

Just watched all that I have again. It looks really good. I need to shave a lot of that silence I spent so much time protecting though. I can see now it could be a lot tighter. Hope I have time to do that before Wednesday – the Dead Center Deadline.

This opening coffee shop scene is working pretty well. I think it's a good start. The only thing that could make it better, and something it really needs, is more swirling around in the opening shot, the way I designed it. I just got flustered because I had blocked it for an entirely seperate coffee shop. And then when we got there no one was in there while I worked the new blocking. We just didn't have enough people. But oddly, by the time we got the perfect take, the shop was hopping, we all just sort of were consumed with getting the shot we'd designed.

I think I just became a stock holder in Dr. Pepper this weekend.

It's funny. They say, if there is a train track anywhere near by, get a shot of the train. Sure enough. I could have used a shot of the train. The big decision of the movie just happens to take place while a train whistle is blairing and rocking Java Dave's. It sounds awesome but is totally out of place with no contex. You are actually able to see the train from the window but we just didn't think to get a shot of the “cat in the window”, or train, in this instance.
Looking good. I went an hour over when I need to go to bed but I think it's in quality enough shape to enter into Dead Center. It should make it into the Oklahoma films category as is. If they give me more time, I know I could make it into the competition.

Scratch that. After putting all the sequences together I remembered I don't have the ending yet. Dangit. Lots of work to be done. Also, the interior needs a LOT of shaving down of little silent moments. If it looks the way things are now, I might need to tack on the surprise ending I've been keeping in my pocket...

No comments:

Post a Comment