Saturday, February 27, 2010

Blogging While Editing - DYWTGO?


Now I can feel why Kent with the first draft the way he did for the final scene. He took all the angles from the first take because those matched up the easiest. It was more of a rough assembly to get the thing in a sequence. Sort of like writing a screenplay draft without outlining/treament writing or breakdowns. It was a good move. After that first take, the continuity is CRAZY. I'm truly writing with my edits here. I'm using a separate take every 2 seconds. It's hard!

Every choice I make at each 2 second interval changes the story, the lines, everything.

It's crazy how a little outside stress can deflate all momentum. Since Kent has a brand new system, his saved files won't run on my Mac – it's too old. So, I have to borrow Ashley's laptop to get this done. I also don't have a hookup for an external monitor, so it's all on a tiny screen. But... it's getting done.

So I'm switching to something a little more “skill” oriented – putting together the DVD menu. Definitely going to use the poster but now I'm envisioning some sort of opening with all the info being typed in, like a chat room thing.

Maybe I don't design DVDs so well without the finished product.

Next time, all akward humor gets choreographed. Like a dance. I remember Kent trying to figure out when Kelli said the line and when Mike stood back up. I told him to forget it and basically I told him we'd fix it in post! He said, “who's editing this thing?” and I said, “me”. So he let it go. Then I tried to pay him way under his rate and he got to deal with it. Man, I really tried to screw Kent on this one! This is tough! But then it all came back to me and now I've screwed myself... This is why Ashley needs to be there during the reshoot. She's the only one I ever listen to when she says to stop and pay attention to continuity.

My son just showed a growth spirt in development. The kids called to say goodnight and he was telling me all kinds of things. Still can only pick out words here and there, but there is definitely a marked difference in his speech. Man that's awesome. And there's that little inspiration I needed.

Working really hard to stretch each beat of akward. They play it really well, it's just that there's no breathing room for the audience. We found so much good stuff while shooting! It was basically a really great rehearsal. Had we had this and then gotten to shoot, it would've put more of that funny into the silence. I'm still so impressed with my actors. I haven't had this great a cast to work with since Rich, Jubal, and Brent did a scene from A Simple Plan with me (that I totally screwed up in the editing of that one – I edited with Movie Maker while hiding in the editing lab at CSF over night on the last day of finals.)

Dad wants me to eat the last piece of chicken. Because it's there. I already ate one... and potatoes, but he said “eat that last piece of chicken.”
“No, Dad.”
“But it's dark meat.”
See: Blogging While Editing 2 - Entrance to Delerium for more funny on this very topic.

Made it through “sit on the couch play”. On to finding a connection. Having some continuity would have helped me already be there. I need to wear a shirt on my next shoot that says “I will NOT fix this in post”.
Dad's sleeping through Rocky IV blasting in the living room. Appolo Creed just died. I don't care if you are Russian and a Commie Sypathiser, that Rocky IV is a good show.

No comments:

Post a Comment