Monday, February 15, 2010

First Cut Round 2

Well. I survived my initial shock. It took some time to handle myself. It's strange how even when you know you're supposed to be disappointed, how you can still be devastated when you meet your first rough cut. My breakdown was documented as a way to exercise a few demons, it was a tad tongue in cheek, and I tried to go over board, but that feeling of helplessness was never-the-less there.

It is quite comforting to know that all directors experience this pain. And I'm wondering how they've come to manage it, or if that's why they now often have editing studios set up in their homes. Pillows to scream in to are never far away.

This time around, I showed some of the footage in a workshop. To 6-8th graders. Out of order. (It was in an effort to show how we write with images. They had different and changing perspectives based on what I chose to put on screen, when to focus on what, and how fast I was cutting. It's essentially describing the scene like in a novel but with images).

This was a brand new experience. I was informed that my movie was certainly a thriller, based on how nervous the main character was, and that there were two guys focused on for a minimum of five seconds. This was actually reinforcement of where I thought it was and so I felt like I knew what I was doing. It was encouraging.

Also encouraging was how funny the students thought the middle scene was. Michael Price is truly a gifted actor and this middle scene is hilarious. I didn't show the ending because I didn't want to give it away. I also know where I'm going with it in the next edit.

Not to mention: After I calmed down a bit, I gained a little more perspective. This rough cut was from the first take. And it was essentially, a shot of the rehearsal.

I know the scene has so much more energy because I've seen the dailies. And I'm excited to get back to it.

Just remember kids: The first cut is always the worst day of a director's life. You will get through it.


Tuesday I meet Kent to work the edit. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment